Re: 4.7 vs 5.2

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2010 - 08:47:29 EDT

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 05:47, Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@comcast.net> wrote:

> After having driven the Dak and the Dur [?] back to back, one thing I have
> noticed is that the 4.7 seems like an awfully peppy motor compared to my
> 5.2.  I mean I know the numbers are better on paper, but I guess I just
> assumed that since the they were of comparable mileage, age, and size that
> the butt dyno would register about the same.  Apparently the extra weight of
> the Durango is much less of a hindrance than the big tires on the Dak.  I
> will say it seems to rev higher, but the Dak seems to have to work harder to
> attain and maintain a given speed.  Hmmmmm.

The 4.7 is definitely more rev-happy, feels "lighter", and is much
quicker to react to throttle changes. The torque comes on later in the
rev range, and it is designed with a higher redline than the 5.2.

Gotta love overhead cams.

Although they were different drivetrain setups, my QC w/ the 4.7 was a
*lot* more fun to drive and seemed to run easier than my CC w/ the
5.2. Not to mention it got better gas mileage (despite being heavier &
geared lower) and I never had to worry about the belly pan gasket.