Re: Bad ball joints?

From: Zito, James A (GE Energy Services) (james.zito@ge.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 2010 - 07:58:07 EST

If there is no detectable play in the joints they're fine. The fact
that your uppers are bolt in indicates they have been replaced at least
once. They come riveted from the factory. However, I'm going to guess
that there is no zerk fitting on the replaced ones so they could be dead
again.

Being a 2 wd guy I'm not entirely sure on this but I think the bolt in
lowers for the 4x4s actually thread into the lower control arm using
some insanely large socket or box wrench.

My vote is the shop was thinking you were a girlie man and decided it
was time to make the next payment on that ice fishing shack, Assuming
ponds and lakes are beginning to freeze over in the Great White
North.......