Re: RE: Mobil One oil

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2011 - 10:25:38 EST

On 2/20/2011 9:47 PM, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Barry Oliver<barrysuperhawk@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Admittedly, I am a small sample size, but I hace 120k worth of data
>> for the dakota and at least something on everything else I have
>> owned. IMHO the 15w50 is the best oil they sell, with the 0w40 euro
>> blend a close second. The new 5w40 truck oil looks promising, but I
>> only have one analysis back for it so far.
>
> That's good info. I guess when I run out of my stock of 10W-30 I
> should consider going with the 15w50, or probably the 5w40 would be a
> better "match" for the factory recommended range, assuming it exibits
> the same performance. I'll be interested to hear how you make out
> with the 5w40.
>
> Are you currently doing regular oil change intervals, or do you send
> the samples out and only change the oil when it is "used up"?

I have run 5k intervals from the start with the Dak, Durango and the
GF's stratus (rip). The benzes are both on 10k intervals, but they take
ALOT more oil [the C32 takes 8.5 Litres] than the Dodges. In another
Email there was a comment about higher levels of Zinc and Phosphorus,
but I don't see it. Here's a report from my truck:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff153/barrysuperhawk/OIL_Dakota_30AUG09.jpg
There is a mistake on there, they identify the oil as Shell 5W40, when
in fact it was Mobil1, but then they go on to comment how the
formulation has changed...go figure. Anyway, the numbers are all pretty
much in line the other thing is for some reason the history doesen't
have every single sample and in order, some are skipped. You may notice
the viscosities of the 5w40 and 15w50 are dramatically above the
averages, even after having been used.