Torque Converter

From: Jamie C (jamie12ga@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2011 - 13:36:38 EDT

Well I was about to put my rebuilt engine back in then decided to replace
the torque converter on the 189,000 mile transmission while the engine is
out. It's a 4X4 so removing the trsanny would be a hassle (compared to a
2wd) if the tc needed replacing. The tranny seemed to work Ok for a high
milage engine but perhaps a new TC, adjusting the bands and maybe even a
shift kit will give new life to the tranny and enough time to save up for a
new one. Anyways...I want to get the right TC for this truck so my questions
are:
It's a '96 OBD II so it has the 46RE, correct?
Is that the same as an A500 or A518?
I see it has the 90 degree bolt pattern and 122 teeth
Anyone happen to know how many splines? I tried counting but got cross eyed
:)
Also, since there's a small splined shaft and a large splined shaft that go
into the TC, which one is referenced when talking about the spline count

This website lists a bunch of different options for TC's for a '96 5.2 TC
which is why I need to be sure to figure out the right one I need without
having to ask the parts kid to figure it out for me!
P.147 in the link below lists the different ones (from this company) that
are available. Can someone help me figure out the right one?
http://www.kingomatic.com/documents/PK%20Torque%20Converter%20Catalog%20May%202011.pdf

Thanks again!
James