RE: Torque Converter

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2011 - 19:11:16 EDT

A '96 Dak 5.2L should have the 46RE trans. That is the electronic version
of the hydraulic 46RH/A518. All of these are derived from a 727
torqueflite.

It should have a lock-up converter (that's why you have two sizes of
shafts). A non-lockup trans has just one splined input shaft.

The bolt pattern on the converters changed during '96-'97 from the old,
traditional, offset pattern to a 90 degree pattern. You can verify which
you have by measuring the distance between each bolt hole. If one distance
is longer than the others it's offset.

Your stock stall speed should be around 2000 rpm. When my engine was nearly
stock I used a TCI 2400 stall. Drivability was indistinguishable from
stock but the track ET was a little better.

You might take a look at what TCI has to offer today. www.tciauto.com

Another source that got good reviews in Mopar Action magazine was Phoenix
transmissions. http://phoenixtrans.com MA used one in their project
Scat Dak '96 Dakota.

Ray

This email was scanned by VIPRE version 4.0.4194 when it was sent, using
definitions version 9763