RE: RE: Torque Converter

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2011 - 22:36:20 EDT

<snip>

> > > This website lists a bunch of different options for TC's for a '96 5.2

> TC
> > > which is why I need to be sure to figure out the right one I need
> without
> > > having to ask the parts kid to figure it out for me!
> > > P.147 in the link below lists the different ones (from this company)
> that
> > > are available. Can someone help me figure out the right one?
> > >

> http://www.kingomatic.com/documents/PK%20Torque%20Converter%20Catalog%20Ma

> > > y%202011.pdf
> > >
> > > Thanks again!
> > > James
> >

> > A '96 Dak 5.2L should have the 46RE trans. That is the electronic
> version
> > of the hydraulic 46RH/A518. All of these are derived from a 727
> > torqueflite.
> >
> > It should have a lock-up converter (that's why you have two sizes of
> > shafts). A non-lockup trans has just one splined input shaft.
> >
> > The bolt pattern on the converters changed during '96-'97 from the old,
> > traditional, offset pattern to a 90 degree pattern. You can verify
> which
> > you have by measuring the distance between each bolt hole. If one
> > distance
> > is longer than the others it's offset.
> >
> > Your stock stall speed should be around 2000 rpm. When my engine was
> > nearly
> > stock I used a TCI 2400 stall. Drivability was indistinguishable from
> > stock but the track ET was a little better.
> >
> > You might take a look at what TCI has to offer today. www.tciauto.com
> >
> > Another source that got good reviews in Mopar Action magazine was
> Phoenix
> > transmissions. http://phoenixtrans.com MA used one in their project

> > Scat Dak '96 Dakota.
> >
> > Ray
> > http://www.dragtruk.com/ENTRIES/20KM1FD2KWBP.html
> >

> Thanks Ray for the info. So it's the A518 in these trucks? What is the
> A500 used in? V6?

Yes. The A500 is derived from the 3-speed 904/999 torqueflite and also
called 42RH and 42RE by the factory. It's much lighter duty than the
518/46R*.

> According to the catalog, p. 147, it looks like I would need their part
> # CR94.

So it appears.

> The only other one that would come close to my specs is the CR63
> but that's for a 131 tooth ring gear. Does that look correct?
>
> http://www.kingomatic.com/documents/PK%20Torque%20Converter%20Catalog%20Ma

> y%202011.pdf
>
> This is an economy TC going into a high mileage transmission so I don't
> want
> to spend high dollar for a TC that will possibly need replacing soon when
> the tranny goes south.

The CR63 appears to have the offset mounting pattern since it is listed for
'92-'96. I've read that the change to the 90 degree pattern occurred in
mid '96.

Ray

This email was scanned by VIPRE version 4.0.4194 when it was sent, using
definitions version 9764