Re: 4.7 sucks for towing

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2011 - 22:46:18 EDT

On 7/2/2011 5:45 PM, M.B. wrote:

> I honestly think Ma Mopar underrated the Dakota in it's towing
> capacity to protect Ram sales.
>
> Considering what I've seen that 4.7L 5 speed Dak with a 3.55 rear end
> pull, I'd be surprised if they didn't. We hooked up a flatbed trailer
> that was made out of parts of a mobile home frame, I'd be amazed if it
> weighed less than 3000lbs, then loaded it with a bunch of stuff from
> his garage as he was moving, including a 700lb gun safe, tool chests,
> etc. It wasn't fun (2nd gear going up one hill) but it made it and
> didn't break anything, other than a stiff neck (it used the axles and
> tires from the same mobile home and every time it hit a bump the whole
> truck felt it).
>
> If I was going to pull more than 6200lbs I'd probably look into making
> sure the bolts on the hitch were grade 8, and maybe investigate the
> possibility of adding more attachment points to the frame. That and a
> definite yes on a brake controller and load distributing hitch.
>
> M.B.

I have had my Dak WAAAY over the rating more time than I can count and
it never sicked this bad.. Hell, I drug a Full size CASE backhoe on a 3
axle lowboy trailer with a pintle hook hitch 25 miles down the highway
when my buddy blew up his F350 and the Dak got the job done. I suspect
the *trailer* was close to 6K before the tractor...

But back on topic, my main complaint is that when compared back to back
with my Dak with the 5.2, the 4.7 sucks. Many of you have chimed in
that the 4.7 did OK or got the job done, and that's cool. How many of
you have had the opportunity to compare the 2 motors back to back?