Re: Plug Wire Resistance

From: TerribleTom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jul 08 2011 - 23:48:48 EDT

On 7/8/2011 7:38 AM, Josh Battles wrote:
> Seems a little high to me, although if you're not using resistor plugs
> its likely on the money. BMW specs about 5k per secondary wire and 1k
> for the coil wire for my car, but it requires resistor plugs so IIRC
> it ends up right in the 10k range for the total circuit. (Bosch W8LCR
> plugs in case anyone was wondering)
>
> I would think that the tolerance would be less than 2k ohms, so odds
> are it's a big deal. Either way, you're replacing them so I wouldn't
> worry about it.

the car does use a resistor spark plug - R45TS. The wires are a 7mm
construction, I bought the cheaper wires from work, as this car has
already sapped a little more money than I wanted to spend on it.

The wires were slated to be replaced anyway. I was just curious with
the resistance on more of a science experiment level. I looked into the
Haynes manual and it didn't list resistance specs on the wires.

You think 2k difference is high eh? I wasn't sure what to expect when I
tested them. However I am not surprised given the condition they were in.

I did some googling and theres a lot of debate over plug wire resistance
in relation to EM suppression... and if it even matters.

--
terribletom