OT: Networking Q's

From: Jamie C (jamie12ga@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 09 2011 - 09:43:26 EDT

Hello all,
Another OT computer question:

We have our local cable company coming to install DVR's and a combo
modem/wireless router. I remember a couple years ago spending a buch of
time configuring our network to get things working, like our Vonage adapter
and Home Server remote access. Before the cable guy comes, I'm reviewing
the settings I currently have to provide the tech the info (or configure it
myself since there's no telling the IT level of the cable guy). Here's the
settings I see I have. Perhaps someone can help me understand them:

After the modem, the first thing on the network is the Vonage adapter
192.168.15.1. It was recommended to put it first so it has priority. I see
I forwarded to the Home Server 192.168.15.2 port #'s 80, 443 and 4125. My
first question is, why do these have a "15" in the address while all my
other computers and printers use a "2" in that place?

When I do an IP Config on the Server it tells me the address is 192.168.2.8.
 I am able to reach the server in a browser by entering either address
192.168.15.2 and 192.168.2.8. So I'm wondering, why the 2 addresses?

Now in the Router, I have the same ports forwarded (80, 443 and 4125) to the
server 192.168.2.8. But why use the "2" instead of the "15" this time?

I see I have the Lease Time is set to Forever for the IP addresses. There's
another setting in the Belkin Router that lists all the IP address for each
computer and there's a button to Reserve the IP address. I don't have any
Reserved, I guess since I have the Lease set to Forever, correct?

I don't know what setting the new modem/router will have so I just want to
know if setting the Lease to Forever and Reserving the IP address does the
same thing.

Since the new modem is a combo wireless router, the Vonage adapter wont be
first on the network anymore. Should I disable the Port Forwarding on it?
Is this a reason that it has a "15" in the address, because it's inline in
the network and not parallel like the other computers and printers? I'm sure
inline and parallel is the proper way to describe it :)

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I have enough knowledge about this for when
the tech comes by so it's a smooth transition.

Thanks,
James