zerks

From: Azie L. Magnusson (maggie11@mchsi.com)
Date: Sun Aug 07 2011 - 18:23:16 EDT

Ed H. writes: >> I bought a 1966 Olds F-85 years
ago with 32000 original miles from the original owner.
It had plugs in all the ball joints, tie rods, etc so I went
to Western Auto and bought about a dozen zerks so I
could service it. <<

I purchased a '61 Ford Galaxy new & it had these
same type plugs. I, too, removed them & installed
zerk fittings..

Jim K writes in response to Eds post::
>> Would that indicate that it had not been regreased
in 32,000 miles ? <<

My best guess is, Yes, that is what it means.. Usually
when zerk fittings were installed, they stayed.

My thinking is that this was standard procedure on
American produced vehicles from early 60's through
mid 70's.. Alemite is another name for the fitting..
Zerk patented it & Alemite Company produced it.

Congress says they are looking deeper into the Bernie
Madoff Scandal.. Well ain't that just great!! The guy
who made $50 Billion disappear is being investigated
by a group of people that made $1.5 TRILLION
disappear!!

Azie