Re: Power steering stop leak

From: Josh Battles (cletusjones@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2011 - 14:28:09 EDT

On Oct 18, 2011 12:44 PM, "Jason Bleazard" <jason.dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

> On Tue, October 18, 2011 1:29 pm, M.B. wrote:
> >
> > Seems to me the first couple years of R&P steering on 4x4 Daks and
> > Durangos caused problems. I know of two separate people (one with a
> > dak, one with a durango) that had big power steering leaks before 75k.
>
> Yay. Our '01 is a bit over 102k miles, so I guess we're due. Apparently
> the trans is starting as well. Dammit, I need this truck to last another
> year and a half at least...

Weird, my 2k made it 130k before I sold it, no drips of any kind. Wonder if
the 4x4 got different stuff then the 4x2?

What's up with your trans? If the power steering hoses are failing, you may
be having the same issue with the trans cooler lines. Worth a peek maybe.

> > Even more of a pain in the ass, there were two power steering pumps
> > used, one with like a 19mm input shaft and one with something like a
> > 21mm (don't remember the sizes for sure).
>
> I noticed that in Rock Auto's catalog. Any way to tell without tearing it
> apart?

Might call the dealer and have them lookup your VIN? They should be able to
tell you the P/N you need so you can xref with rockauto. I've been able to
do that with more than a few NLA BMW parts, I would think Dodges should work
too.

Josh