Re: Is my auto trans hosed ?

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2011 - 15:31:01 EST

On Fri, November 18, 2011 1:44 am, Mike Burgess wrote:

> Went to pick it up,
> and they had used Dextron III with a synthetic "booster mystery juice",
> that "works just fine like the factory fluid".

As others have said, make the shop fix their mistake. Personally, I'd take
it to a reputable Chrysler dealer to have the snake oil flushed out and
correct fluid put in, and take the bill to the shop that used the wrong
fluid, and make a lot of noise and threaten small claims court until they
reimburse you for the work done at the Chrysler dealer. That's probably
just me... I don't let anyone other than the dealer touch the trans. Yes,
dealer service is expensive. ATF+4 is expensive. So is a new transmission.

I'm pretty sure the owner's manual specifically states that Dexron fluid
should not be used. Having this info in writing from an official source
will definitely improve your case. If it's not in the manual, it's at
http://www.centerforqa.com

"Only certified ATF+4(R) is recommended for service of Chrysler Group LLC
vehicles. The use of automatic transmission fluids other than ATF+4(R),
including those claiming to be like ATF+4(R), could result in lower levels
of performance, jeopardize transmission life and void warranties."

In case you feel like reading more: http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
Search that page for "Dexron" if you want to read about half a dozen
warnings against the stuff.

I heard somewhere (and bear with me, I'm not an expert, just relaying what
I've heard) that the additives in Dexron actually eat the material
Chrysler uses in their transmissions. If that's true, it would mean that
there's absolutely no way you could ever add anything to Dexron fluid to
make it okay to use in Chrysler vehicles. I see this "multi-vehicle" ATF
that's supposed to meet both Dexron and Chrysler specs every time I'm in
the parts store, and it makes me so mad I want to pour out all the jugs of
that crap on the floor. My theory is that the very existence of this fluid
is a major part of the reason why Chrysler transmissions have such a poor
reputation... of course they're going to fail if shops keep using fluid
that eats them.

Ahem. Sorry, rant over. Good luck with this, let us know how it goes.

--
Jason Bleazard  dontspamjason@bleazard.net  Burlington, Ontario
'01 Dakota Sport 4x4, 4.7 V8, Auto, Quad Cab, black