Re: Re: R/T Wheels

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Nov 28 2011 - 23:03:55 EST

Andy Levy wrote:

>> The plot thickens. I received the wheel on Friday, which amounts to
>> phenomenally fast shipping considering the holiday. The bad point is that
>> the rim is 16", not 17". UGH. I have sent 2 ebay messages and one straight
>> email to the seller so far but for all I know they are still on vacation...
>> Andy, how do you always manage to be right about this stuff?
>
> But how many lugs does it take?

The seller was wrong about it fitting a Durango, it is a 16" 6 lug
Dakota wheel. Now I have to decide if I want to just keep it and use it
as a spare with a different sized tire, or if I want to pitch a fit and
send it back. Actually, the more I look, I am not sure Dodge ever made
a 17" steel wheel for a Gen3 Dakota. Can any of you R/T guys confirm or
deny this?

The principal of the thing tells me to send it back, but OTOH, it does
fit, and I was only going to use it as a full size spare anyway. I also
found out that a 265/75r16 is the same nominal size as the 265/70r17's
that I was planning to run on my 17" rims, so it would work for what I
want it for.

Another argument for keeping it is that none of my local junkyards
currently have any Gen3 Dakotas or Gen1 Durangos, [apparently they were
really popular with the cash for clunker crowd] so finding a local
replacement may be problematic. That's why I was looking on Ebay in the
first place. My local tire shop has already told me to expect to pay
$100+ if I want a new steelie spare rim and none of their regular
distributors had one in stock.

So, can anyone think of a reason for me not to just go ahead and use
this instead of dealing with the hassle of having to ship it out and
then find a replacement? Anyone got a 17" steelie for my Gen3 for sale?