My Dakota has an unwanted dashboard light

From: Mike & Sharon Higgins (clearcreek@gobrainstorm.net)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2011 - 00:33:35 EST

My 1999 Dakota, 5.2 (318) Magnum, 5 speed has lit the "Check Engine" Light.
I thought that I remembered once that some of the older models could be
"read" by turning the key on and off with a certain sequence, then count the
flashes, but I don't remember quite what the sequence is. I have visited my
local O'Rielly's, but did not locate any plug in for diagnosis under the
dash. I did see a small rectangular bracket to the driver's left, next to
the steering column, but there was no electrical connection in it. It was
20° and blowing wind at the time (yes, in Farmington, NM!), and I decided I
would go back later. It will soon be more mild.
Is this an OBDI system? Should I find a plug-in under the dash, or
elsewhere? Can I use a coded sequence to get the light to flash?

Mike Higgins
1999 Dakota Ext. Cab 210,000 miles