Re: My Dakota has an unwanted dashboard light

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2011 - 01:48:07 EST

On Monday 05 December 2011 23:33:35 you wrote:
> My 1999 Dakota, 5.2 (318) Magnum, 5 speed has lit the "Check Engine" Light.
> I thought that I remembered once that some of the older models could be
> "read" by turning the key on and off with a certain sequence, then count
> the flashes, but I don't remember quite what the sequence is.

I don't know about your '99, but on my '01, you can pull the codes by turning
the key to on / off three times without starting. The codes are displayed on
the odometer readout.

> I have
> visited my local O'Rielly's, but did not locate any plug in for diagnosis
> under the dash. I did see a small rectangular bracket to the driver's
> left, next to the steering column, but there was no electrical connection
> in it.

That sounds like the right location for an OBD connector. I seem to recall
mine being on the right of the steering column, but it's been a while since I
looked at it.