Front Diff seals

Date: Sat Mar 03 2012 - 21:43:58 EST

Well, after spending the morning in the ER I came out to my truck and
decided that since the parking lot wasn't iced over I'd take a peek and
make sure that my swaybar wasn't hanging by a thread (the bushings have
been REALLY noisy) and noticed some nice oil dripping off the front
diff. I put my finger in it and sniffed. Yup, gear lube. $@#$@#

I didn't have the time or energy to fix it and had no idea how much lube
was left so I took it to a shop I trust. Turns out both axle seals were
leaking, one a pretty good amount, the other was weeping a little.
Fun. This is the second time the thing has sprung a leak, but it was
the diff cover before.

I know the manager fairly well due to my ex-wife's misadventures in car
breakage. I told him that it was too bad he'd have to pull the cover
again after I just resealed it like 2 months ago. He said they'd not
need to as the axles are just held in my clips that they have to bang
out. I told him I thought they were C-clips in the diff, he said he'd
never seen any truck use C-clips in the front end just the rear. He
pulled up a schematic and it didn't show any C-clips either. I said ok
then figuring I remembered the FSM wrong.

Needless to say, a lot of banging later they pulled the diff cover and
lo and behold, C Clips!

So if you take your 1987-1996 4x4 Dak in to get the axle seals replaced,
make sure the mechanic realizes that 7.25" front diff has C-Clips! ;)

M.B.