Re: Storing Motors

From: Josh Battles (cletusjones@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2012 - 14:06:02 EDT

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Azie L. Magnusson <maggie11@mchsi.com>wrote:

> Mike G writes:: >> Since we're on the subject of motors,
> I recently had a chance to sell a Mopar 400 I'm not using.
> The guy backed off on the deal because I had pulled the
> plugs out and filled the cylinders with oil, and filled the
> crank case with oil thru the valve covers. I've always done
> this if the motor's going to sit for a spell. I also stuff oily
> rags into the exhaust manifolds to keep rodents, dust and
> air out. The guy thought it would hurt the motor and make
> it smoke. It's a good engine with only 78,000 miles on it.
> After you drain all the oil, it will smoke at first until the
> remaining oil residue is burned off. Anyone ever store a
> motor like this? <<
>
> Never stored 1 this way, but It isn't a bad idea. Certainly
> wouldn't keep me from purchasing 1 that had been stored
> this way. Flush the water passages out with some hot
> soapy water & let her go.

Seems reasonable to me. You're keeping all the metal in contact with oil
so it won't corrode, and it's lubricated with oil anyways... We stored
outboard motors with just the regular amount of (fresh) oil in the
crankcase and all the sections, and fogging oil in the cylinders. All
started right up and ran smoothly after years in storage. From what I've
read, assembly lube alone is enough as long the motor hasn't ever been run.

- Josh