Re: Hello All!

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 18 1995 - 17:28:42 EST

>Hello all,
> My great thanks to Jon for the creation of this list and his good
>fortune and good sense in purchasing a Dodge Dakota. I am proud to be

  :-) Thanks.

   Bill was one of the guys who was nice enough to answer all my
inscessant Dakota questions a few months back. :)

    Thanks to his (and others) responses and personal experiences, I decided
to go for it. I got a 1996 black (with grey lower break) Dakota with the
318ci V8, SLT, 5-speed, 3.55 rear, limited slip, club cab, mopar bed liner,
sliding rear window, air, power everything. So far, its been great! Well,
there was a period of a day or so when I started to doubt my decision... That
was after I drove home during the winter's first snowfall. You wanna talk
about *twitchy*?? A long club cab, with all the weight up front, and a V8
producing 295lb-ft of torque... Lets just say it wasn't any fun at all, and I
don't care to *ever* repeat that experience. Fortunately, 600lbs of sand fixed
that little problem right quick! (With no noticible difference in performance
in the dry).

   There are only 2 things I'm a little dissapointed about, and they both
have to do with gas.

   1) The gas mileage. Its not the greatest, but then, I was sort of
      expecting that. I'm only getting 200 some miles per 22 gallon
      tank... (10-14). The truck is still new though, so I'm hoping
      it'll get better as it breaks in.

   2) The low fuel warning light. IS THERE ONE??? I don't see one on the
      truck, and I didn't see any mention in the owner's manual. How can
      you live without a low fuel warning light?? I'd have to run out of
      gas a few times to determine where "empty" is using the needle! A
      low fuel warning light is not something I'm looking forward to living
      without. (Can this truck actually have been around this long without
      something as simple as a low fuel warning light?

>part of this list and I look forward to corresponding with like minded
>(and like driven) folks without having to look through all the other stuff.

   For sure. :-) A while back, when several people were talking about
a Dakota mailing list, and no one offered to do one, I thought "why not?"
Hopefully, I didn't waste my time. :-) (We've got 6 subscribers total,
less than 24hrs after its announcement.)

> My Dakota is a '94 Sport, white shortbed, 5.2l 5 speed, 3.55 rear,air,
>tilt, cruise, sliding rear window, sport suspension (gas shocks, heavier
>front sway bar) K&N, MP Headers, MP exhaust, Century cap with no side
>windows and a rubber bed mat.

   Sounds nice! :-) (Should be interesting to see what the R/T conversion
will do for it...)

                                              -Jon-

 | Jon Steiger == DoD# 1038 == USUA# A46209 == NMA# 117376 == KotWitDoDFAQ |
 | stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu && http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ |
 | '96 Dakota SLT V-8, '91 FZR600R /* Just another mangy hacker */ |