new truck milage,where's the light?

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 19 1995 - 12:04:21 EST

On Sat, 18 Nov 1995, Jon N. Steiger wrote:

> There are only 2 things I'm a little dissapointed about, and they both
> have to do with gas.
>
> 1) The gas mileage. Its not the greatest, but then, I was sort of
> expecting that. I'm only getting 200 some miles per 22 gallon
> tank... (10-14). The truck is still new though, so I'm hoping
> it'll get better as it breaks in.
Yes it probably will. My Dakota got that for the first 3-4000 miles and
it improved so that on a long trip (Lowell Mass to Lumberton N.C.) I got
19-21 MPG. My speed varied from stop and go (around the Tappen Zee Bridge
and NJ turnpike) to 65 (through Maryland) to 80-85 through south VA to NC
(where I discovered that the cruise ontrol refuses to set any speed higher
than 85 mph). My fuel economy was such that I would fill my tank every
350 miled just for safetys sake. This trip occured before my computer
changeover and all the rest happened.>
> 2) The low fuel warning light. IS THERE ONE??? I don't see one on the
> truck, and I didn't see any mention in the owner's manual. How can
> you live without a low fuel warning light??
I have never had one before this truck,no, that's not true, I did have a
Samurai but it doesn't count.
> I'd have to run out of gas a few times to determine where "empty" is
        using the needle!
If it helps, At "E" I have about 1.5 gallons in my tank.
> A low fuel warning light is not something I'm looking forward to
living
> without. (Can this truck actually have been around this long without
> something as simple as a low fuel warning light?
My Dakota has one. Just below the gas guage is a "gas pump" that back
lights when I have about 1/8 of a tank left. I think it looks pretty cool
but I don't look forward to it showing up.

> For sure. :-) A while back, when several people were talking about
> a Dakota mailing list, and no one offered to do one, I thought "why not?"
> Hopefully, I didn't waste my time. :-) (We've got 6 subscribers total,
> less than 24hrs after its announcement.)
Woop! Looks like we're hit! Give the people what they want!

> > My Dakota is a '94 Sport, white shortbed, 5.2l 5 speed, 3.55 rear,air,
> >tilt, cruise, sliding rear window, sport suspension (gas shocks, heavier
> >front sway bar) K&N, MP Headers, MP exhaust, Century cap with no side
> >windows and a rubber bed mat.
>
> Sounds nice! :-) (Should be interesting to see what the R/T conversion
> will do for it...)
It makes a sleepy mid sized truck very suprising to others.

Thanks again Jon for the welcome and for the list. I am raising a toast
to us all!

Cheers!
1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed (R/T in progress)
Bill Countie
e-mail wgcount@husc7.harvard.edu