Hello

From: Tom Kong (thk@tyres.asd.sgi.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 1995 - 16:05:18 EST

My name is Tom Kong and I have a '95 Dakota Sport V6, 5sp
with 2WD (3.9 axle). This is my first american vehicle (my
made in Pennsylvania VWs don't count as American).

I bought this truck because I was looking for the cheapest
new truck that will tow 5000lbs. I've had it for almost five
months, but had put in less than 2000 miles, with about 200
miles of towing. So far no problems except that the tranmission (AX-15)
seems to be noticeably more notchy ever since my first time towing.
The V6 handled the load without problems. When pulling 4500 lbs uphill
at highway speed, with the A/C running, I had more pickup then in my
old VW diesel rabbit.

I plan to replace the tranny and rear-axle fluids with synthetics as
recommended in the owners manual (why didn't Chrysler spend the
extra few bucks and put in synthetics to save us the hassle I'd like
to know!)

The draining the tranny shouldn't be difficult. How about the
rear-end? There is a rubber plug about 3" from the bottom, I assume
it is a filler plug. How do I drain the rear-end? Do I have to
undo all the small bolts and remove the rear plate to drain?

Thanks,
/tom

PS: Every other new car I've owned used about half to a quart of oil during
    the first thousand miles or so, and then slowly stop using oil within
    a few thousand miles. This truck seems to burn almost no oil during the
    first 1700 miles. Should I worry? I've nevered owned anything with
    more than 4 cyl, or with overhead valves.