Re: Color Matched Caps

From: Rader = Darn Jar All Dry Error (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 1995 - 12:05:46 EST

>>[gelcoat caps] matched well when new but the color faded very
>>quickly and within two years the caps looked sad.
>>
>>My suggestion would be to have the cap painted to match.

>two years ago i got a Guidon brand hard tonneau/bed cover, factory painted to
>match the color of my truck, and the color is still perfectly matched to the
>truck.

  I'm considering a one-piece fiberglass tonneau cover, and have been
wondering about the gelcoat vs. painted issue. Seems to me that the
gelcoat would be easier to take care of, right? Should be more resistant
to scratches, etc. I'd imagine, while the painted cover would require
careful waxing.

  I've been leaning towards a black fiberglass gelcoat cover, but would
like to hear other opinions about the gelcoat vs. painted decision.

  Ron "Waxing Not My Favorite Task" Rader