RE: Color Matched Caps

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Mon Dec 11 1995 - 14:19:23 EST

From: rlr@bbt.com@INTERNET on Mon, Dec 11, 1995 12:45 PM
>>[gelcoat caps] matched well when new but the color faded very
>>quickly and within two years the caps looked sad.
>>
>>My suggestion would be to have the cap painted to match.

>I'm considering a one-piece fiberglass tonneau cover, and have been
>wondering about the gelcoat vs. painted issue. Seems to me that the
>gelcoat would be easier to take care of, right? Should be more resistant
>to scratches, etc. I'd imagine, while the painted cover would require
>careful waxing.

I thought the gel coat was the way to go but you can see from my post I found
out otherwise. For the fun of take a trip to a boat yard and take a look at the
gelcoat colors on boats that are 2 or 3 years old. Also, I found when you
scrathed the gelcoat it turned white until you polished the scratched area.

I would choose waxing to fading anytime.

Dave Clement