RE: Color Matched Caps

From: Rader = Darn Jar All Dry Error (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 1995 - 14:32:40 EST

>>I'm considering a one-piece fiberglass tonneau cover, and have been
>>wondering about the gelcoat vs. painted issue. Seems to me that the
>>gelcoat would be easier to take care of, right?

>I thought the gel coat was the way to go but you can see from my post I found
>out otherwise. For the fun of take a trip to a boat yard and take a look at
>the gelcoat colors on boats that are 2 or 3 years old.

  You should see our 1973 Dixie! ;) My previous fiberglass cap was gelcoat
white, which didn't see too much fade (as you can imagine).

>Also, I found when you
>scrathed the gelcoat it turned white until you polished the scratched area.

  That isn't too hot. If I went for a gelcoat top this time, I'd choose
black. I figure those scratches would get really nasty on a black top.

>I would choose waxing to fading anytime.

  Good point. Thanks for the warnings. I guess I will go for the full
Brilliant Blue treatment, once I get around to actually buying the top.

  Ron "Topless" Rader