Re: What gas is best?

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 12 1995 - 10:41:25 EST

On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, Brian D. Stroud wrote:

> >Most of the things you cite are really myths -- higher octane gas
> >isn't ``better'' in any sense than lower octane, it's just less prone
> >to detonate. The salesman was right about all gas having detergent
> >now; but your truck isn't going to develop any kind of ``appetite''
> >for high octane gas if you use it. There was a time when you could
>

> Disagree, MP computers learn. If you always have you foot into it
> while running 92, the computer will automatically assume that is how
> you drive, and give it the max advance and richness. If you suddenly
> switch, the computer assumes 92, and advances the timing accordingly,
> resulting in pinging. The computer will learn 87 again, but it might
> take a few tankfulls.

So that is why my Dakota runs rich. My truck pings when it is cold. It
also pings when it is cold outside longer than when it is warm. I
understand that it may be because it is cold outside, but it pings only
during the winter months. Could it be the gas reformulation? This occured
last year too. Could this be because I am always tromping on it? It is
fun though.

1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed (R/T in progress)
Bill Countie
e-mail wgcount@husc7.harvard.edu