Re: Intro, Comments, & ??

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 13 1995 - 11:07:12 EST

On Tue, 12 Dec 1995, Harold Borders wrote:

> >> 2) While fixing shock, I noticed that the Y-pipe had a crunch around the
> >> diameter. Anyone else notice this?
> >Yes. That little "dent" is in all V6 and V8 pipes. This is done to allow
> >the front drive shaft on 4WD to get to the front pumpkin. It is the cheap
> >way out for Dodge rather than the mandrel bending (more bucks) and they
> >can put this pipe on a lot more models and have it fit (auto trans,
> >manual trans, combined with 4WD). That is one of the reasons I bought the
> >headers from MP
>
> It is not a dent, but more of a crush. It looks like "someone used a
> ballpeen hammer" (Ron Rader) to put it together, along with large visegrips.
> I feel that is a very unprofessional way to build a new vehicle. I'm just
> wondering if it is worth "beating up" a servicing dealer (I bought the truck
> out of state) for a new one when I take it in for its next service.

The "crush" or whatever, is on ALL pipes not just yours. It looks like
1/2 of the effective area of the tube is lost. (look at some other
Dakotas at the Dodge dealer before you "beat someone up"). :-)

> BTW, what is MP?
Mopar Performance. This used to be called Direct Connection. It is a
Chrysler group dedicated to performance parts. Call them for parts
availability or to get their catalog 1-810-853-7290, 8AM to 5PM EST.
For service publications 1-800-626-1523. They deal with 4 cyl engines to
the hemi and all in between.

> -Buddy

1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed (R/T in progress)
Bill Countie
e-mail wgcount@husc7.harvard.edu