New Suscriber

From: Robert E. Weiss (weiss@esa.lanl.gov)
Date: Tue Dec 19 1995 - 17:25:59 EST

Howdy!

I just subscribed to the Dakota mailing list today, so I figured
I'd say hello.

I own a 1992 Dakota, bought new. Used daily for commuting and
recreational travel. I have done all my own maintenance (except
tranny fluid change, which is too messy for me!), so I'd be glad
to answer any questions you may have about the truck.

I bought my Dakota in February of 92. It was a factory order (the
ones on the dealer lot didn't have the options I wanted). The
factory order was quick, it only took 4 weeks from order to delivery.
He is what I bought

- 4x4 Club Cab with LE trim package (alloy wheels, A/C, stereo, etc.)
- V6
- auto trans
- towing package
- 3.9 rear
- limited slip

Back then, they were fairly inexpensive, I paid $16,900 ($400 above
invoice, and there was a $750 rebate on top of that). The dealership,
Joe Horace Dodge in Santa Fe, NM, was pretty good to deal with.

For you do-it-youselfers, maintenance is pretty easy.
- Transfer case and differential fluid changes were 'cake'
- Tune up took me about 1 hour
- Front brake pads were real easy, too.
- Shocks were no problem (put Rancho 5000s in it, I am very happy
with them).
- The factory shop manual was worth every penny

For all you new Dakota owners out there, my only surprise was that the
air intake duct to the air cleaner house attract bugs like crazy. Every
6 months, my air cleaner is full of bees and other bugs (they may sense
the warmth coming out of the duct intake when the air temperature is
cold). So check your air filter often!!

If anyone has any question about maintenance, or my experiences,
don't hesitate to ask.

Bob

Robert Weiss ESA-EPE MS J576
phone: 7-3503 fax: 7-0600