Re: First oil change, and a bunch of other stuff.

From: Gary Gellert (ggellert@junction.net)
Date: Tue Dec 19 1995 - 19:36:35 EST

On Tue, 19 Dec 1995, Jon N. Steiger wrote:

> On a (realted?) note... I got thinking about my old car (which I
> *really*, *really* miss (probably because I was thinking about the
> oil changes)) and about how blindingly fast it was... I came out of a Wal-Mart
> store, and as I was walking to my truck, I noticed how the silver/chrome
> "V8 Magnum" stood out against the black paint. I'm really glad I decided to
> go with the 8 over the 6. I remember deciding to go with the 8, wanting to
> reduce the transition shock" of going from a 160mph rocket to a truck. I
> knew it had to be a Dakota, because of the styling, and because Dodge was
> the only company with the guts to cram an 8 into a truck that size. It
> was really nice knowing (and being able to prove) that you're faster than
> 99% of the cars on the road, but with the v8 Dakota, I'm still faster than
> most, probably up near 90% or so... (Not that that stuff *really* matters,
> but its nice to know... :-)

Yea, that is one thing I like about my truck. Knowing I can run with the
Porsche's on the highway, as long as it doesn't get too twisty.

> I remember *everyone*, family members, the dealer, the salesman, etc.
> saying "are you sure you want an 8?" "Why do you want the 8?" "We have
> guys who get the 8 and trade it in the next year because they can't handle
> it." They kinda shut up when they saw what I was trading in on it... ;-)
> Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that, if you're considering the
> options, you might as well go for the V8. Its the best $600 I've ever
> spent. :-)
>
> To make a long, garbled, stupid post even longer: :-)
>
> Someone (From Canada, I believe) mentioned that they were clocked at
> 150mph in their Dakota. (or maybe it was kph?) For some reason, I seem
> to think it was mph... Can this be? I didn't think the Dakota would

You were right. I've had my 92 Dakota up to 237 km/h which works out to
about 150 mph. It is possible, but ya gotta have a real smooth, and
straight stretch of highway. My truck shook like a tank at that speed,
but then again, when you have a heavy-duty suspension, you expect that.
It's not something I would do all the time, but I wanted to see how fast
the truck could go, so I set it up with a friend of mine who was a
HighWay patrol officer. He let me know where he was gonna setup a radar
trap, and I went through it. Also, I didn't have a sustained speed that
high, the way I did it is like this. I put my foot down as I was coming
out of a corner, and just let the truck climb. As soon as I went by the
radar, I lifted off and got into the brakes hard to get the truck back
down to a more normal speed. I even think that if I would have done some
work on the truck, I could of got more speed, as I hit that speed without
putting the pedal all the way down. Also just for the record, the
speedo's here in Canada pegged at 200kp/h, so I had no idea how fast I
was going because the needle wasn't moving any more.

It sure is a nice rush though when you get a truck moving at that speed,
but once again, it's not something that I would probably ever do again
with this particular truck.

Gary Gellert.

92' Dakota with Magnum 318, 4 speed auto, Work truck.