First oil change, and a bunch of other stuff.

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 19 1995 - 19:04:14 EST

   Well, its time for my very first Dakota oil change. (2,000 mi)

In my previous car, (3000GT VR-4) I used nothing but high quality
synthetics (Mobil 1), and I planned to do the same for the Dakota. However,
I have heard that for the first 10,000 miles, you should use conventional
oil, because you want the engine to wear a little. What do you think?
Should I go with synthetic from the start, wait until 10,000, or use
conventional all along?

  On a (realted?) note... I got thinking about my old car (which I
*really*, *really* miss (probably because I was thinking about the
oil changes)) and about how blindingly fast it was... I came out of a Wal-Mart
store, and as I was walking to my truck, I noticed how the silver/chrome
"V8 Magnum" stood out against the black paint. I'm really glad I decided to
go with the 8 over the 6. I remember deciding to go with the 8, wanting to
reduce the transition shock" of going from a 160mph rocket to a truck. I
knew it had to be a Dakota, because of the styling, and because Dodge was
the only company with the guts to cram an 8 into a truck that size. It
was really nice knowing (and being able to prove) that you're faster than
99% of the cars on the road, but with the v8 Dakota, I'm still faster than
most, probably up near 90% or so... (Not that that stuff *really* matters,
but its nice to know... :-)
   I remember *everyone*, family members, the dealer, the salesman, etc.
saying "are you sure you want an 8?" "Why do you want the 8?" "We have
guys who get the 8 and trade it in the next year because they can't handle
it." They kinda shut up when they saw what I was trading in on it... ;-)
   Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that, if you're considering the
options, you might as well go for the V8. Its the best $600 I've ever
spent. :-)

   To make a long, garbled, stupid post even longer: :-)

  Someone (From Canada, I believe) mentioned that they were clocked at
150mph in their Dakota. (or maybe it was kph?) For some reason, I seem
to think it was mph... Can this be? I didn't think the Dakota would
be able to get anywhere near those speeds without major suspension work..
Any thoughts? (Maybe the original poster could confirm wether it was
mph or kph? That would make a difference, I suppose. :-)

                                              -Jon-

 | Jon Steiger == DoD# 1038 == USUA# A46209 == NMA# 117376 == KotWitDoDFAQ |
 | stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu && http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ |
 | '96 Dakota SLT V-8, '91 FZR600R /* Just another mangy hacker */ |