More Power.... AAgghhh AAAGHH!

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Wed Dec 20 1995 - 09:34:42 EST

>I don't have a Dakota (yet) but plan on buying one in '97 when I return
from
>this rock known as Guam. But I am curious about the off-road capabilities
>of this truck. Any vehicle that can bust 100 mph, hit 60 in less than 10
>seconds, and pull a trailer up a grade without dropping into 1st is
adequate
>for my highway needs. I do want something that can be perfed up a bit for
>the dirt. No, I'm not into the thousand inch tires and mile high lifts; I
>need stuff like Detroit lockers, heavy duty suspension parts, decent
shocks,
>nerf bars, trailer hitches, winch applications, CB mountability, do da, do
>da, do da day. Anyone on this list into that kinda thing? No offense to
>those of you who are into the street machines, I like them too, but needs
>are needs.

OK, my kind of guy!

31's generally fit without a lift (check actual sizes, a true 31 will rub)

The only locker available currently is a Lock Right. (rear axle only)

As for its ability, I've only had trouble with the factory street tires.
We have a trail here in New England which is rated as a 6-8 out of 10 where
the conditions vary due to the season. Last spring (Memorial Day weekend)
I took my truck with 31" tires and everything else stock. Never got stuck,
and actually made some climbs easier than some of the modified vehicled in
my club. I am an open diff freak, so I have not tried the locker yet.
Haven't seen a need. I am going to put on the Mile Marker Hydralic winch
when I find a bumper I like. The V8 and the smooth throttle really give
the Dakota a tremendous advantage in low traction situations.

You will bang the frame, but it can take it. Get the skid plate option, it
will protect everything. The only damage I have is scratched rocker panels
where I had to use the body of the truck as a piviot on a dirt berm. (the
trail is really designed for jeeps, not pickups) A little sanding and a
few shots from the factory packaged rattle can and the rocker look good as
new.

You can mount one of the new "one hander" CB's on the knee pad between the
steering wheel and the radio with the control box bolted to an existing
hole on the steering colum brace. I also use a 'secret' CB adapter which
allows the AM/FM antenna to be my CB antenna as well and it works far
better than I thought it would. I also have a 2 Meter/440 Mhz Ham radio
mounted where the ashtray used to be. This area works well, but it is
small and may interfere with the 4WD shifter.

I am going to get better shocks when the warmer weather comes back. Since
I like the Trail Master N7s, it should stiffen up the ride quite a bit.

As for the rest of the suspention, it is VERY strong. You'll have to do
some modifications to fit the tow hooks (none available from the factory),
but its easy.

Christopher Siano | Work Sucks... I'm going
CSiano@Banyan.com | Camping, Mountain Biking