Re: First oil change, and a bunch of other stuff.

From: Gary Gellert (ggellert@junction.net)
Date: Wed Dec 20 1995 - 22:23:06 EST

On Wed, 20 Dec 1995 CSiano@banyan.com wrote:

> > Someone (From Canada, I believe) mentioned that they were clocked at
> >150mph in their Dakota. (or maybe it was kph?) For some reason, I seem
> >to think it was mph... Can this be? I didn't think the Dakota would
> >be able to get anywhere near those speeds without major suspension work..
> >Any thoughts? (Maybe the original poster could confirm wether it was
> >mph or kph? That would make a difference, I suppose. :-)
>
> I was wondering about that too. With the NV3500 and a 3.9 axle ratio, My
> truck would redline in overdrive around 130. Add to that the fact that
> most truck tires would fly apart at that speed and I have serious doubts.

Well, don't doubt it. I've done it, but would never do it again.

> (Anybody wanna guess why I like my Micky Thompson HP's with a 112mph
> raiting?) Although my Dakota can get to 90+ very easily (love the looks
> on people's faces when I floor it comming onto the highway.) the
> suspention really doesn't like it and the vehicle becomes a handful. A
> longer wheelbase might help, but that would hurt off-road.

The truck does shake like a tank at high speed, but it can take it for a
very short period of time. Remember, I didn't sustain that speed for a
long time, I just got it up there, went thru the radar trap, and got
right back into the brakes.

Ps. I do have the long wheelbase, my truck is a Regular Cab, with the 8'
box, and I don't have the factory tires, they self destructed within the
first 30,000 kilometers or so, due to excessive wear. :-)