Re: Fiberglass bed lids

From: Howard Wilson (howard@bga.sps.mot.com)
Date: Tue Jan 02 1996 - 13:09:30 EST

To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu

> I've been in the market for a one-piece fiberglass tonneau cover for my
>Dakota. Have found wildly-divergent prices, depending on whom I talk to.
>I'm talking from US$500 to $700, for what looks like the exact same top.

> Those of you who have these tops, who did you get them from and how much
>did you pay (if you don't mind my asking)? If you could supply names and
>#s for suppliers, that would be great.

> Thanks in advance,

> Ron
---------------------------

for a 93 extended cab, short bed, painted to match from factory, installed

i went with guidon brand, purchased thru stone's campers in austin tx, and paid
$595 + tax. included all brackets, gas pistons, etc, and also included
optional little bracket to lock the tailgate to the cover.

i love it. it's like making a huge trunk out of the bed.

look at the latching mechanism, as mine could be opened by slipping a bent coat
hanger in between the tailgate lip and the cover seal, snagging the cable that
connects the latch mechanism and the handle, and pulling. this unlocks one
corner. repeat on the other corner and it's open! if you fabricate a sheet
metal angle bracket to block access to the cable, its more secure.

good luck.

--
Howard P. Wilson