RE:Trans Fluid Specs

From: Robert E. Weiss (weiss@esa.lanl.gov)
Date: Tue Jan 02 1996 - 14:04:25 EST

>I checked the factory service manual for my '95 and came up with the following:

>AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID SPECIFICATION
>When it becomes necessary to add fluid (ATF) or when the ATF is replaced,
>use MOPAR ATF PLUS (ATF Type 7176). Dexron III ATF can be used only if MOPAR
>ATF PLUS (ATF Type 7176) is not available.

>The Book of Dodge seems to imply that if you don't use *THEIR* ATF, they
>might not be able to honor any warranty claims resulting from "improper"
>fluid use. :( However, since this is my first new vehicle, I think that I
>will "play by the rules". If I have to give my dealer $50 for service, so be
>it. I'll just try to drink as much of his coffee as I can. ;)

I agree. Use ONLY Mopar 7176 to maintain the warrenty. My dealer told me the
fluids are similar, but the 7176 will give better shifting characteristics.
He said (and so does the owner's mannual), thet Dexron is O.K. to use in
the transfer case.

Unfortunately, Dodge charges $3.60 a quart for 7176. No aftermarket 7176
exists, at least not at my local Pep Boys or Autozone.

Bob