Headlight dimmer switch/optical horn

From: DFuller288@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 15 1996 - 23:06:38 EST

I just had both headlights go out at same time on 93 dakota 5.2L club cab LE.
 Headlights will not come on when push/pull level is pulled out. Running
lights work fine. If dimmer lever on steering column is pulled back (as if
to switch from high to low beams) then low beams will come on. As soon as
lever is released, lights go out. I checked the dimmer switch itself and it
checks our OK per repair manual. Also tried a new switch with same results.
 Manual describes an "optical horn". Is this some sort of headlight relay?
 If so, does anyone know where it's located? Help appreciated.