RE: 3.9 V6 Performance Upgrades

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Tue Jan 23 1996 - 08:31:17 EST

To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET
From: stei0302@mary.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET on Tue, Jan 23, 1996 8:06 AM

> I recieved this along with a subscription request. There have been
>several things discussed about upgrades for the 318... Anyone have
>any suggestions for the 6?
>(Personally, I've always wanted to put a couple of bit-turbos on the 6,
>kind of like the 3000GT VR-4, 300ZX, etc. That combination should be good
>for well over 300 HP. (Probably closer to 400?) I dunno how long the engine
>could take it though...)
>
>------
>
> I have a 1987 Dakota with a 3.9L. It has no
>power, never has, but, is very reliable. Are
>there any performance upgrades I can make like
>changing the carb, ignition, exhaust, ect...

Actually Mopar Performance has a fair amount of goodies for the 3.9l engine.
They have cams, a 4bbl intact manifold and headers. Any of the Cat back exhaust
upgrades available for the 5.2l would work just as well on the 3.9l.

The gentlemen with the 87 might want to look at the 4bbl manifold and a small
4bbl or maybe one of the after market fuel injection systems.

I need to replace my exhaust (likely this summer some time) I plan on getting a
2 1/4 inlet and outlet Dynomax muffler and having a 2 1/4 tailpipe bent for my
3.9l

Dave