Re: Tires (help!)

From: Mel Lester Jr. (meljr@connet80.com)
Date: Sat Jan 27 1996 - 09:57:49 EST

On Sat, 27 Jan 1996 TeamGTZ@aol.com wrote:

> I'm looking to put new rubber on my 95 club cab (slammed), small tires in
> front, stock height in back. The problem is that I love the look of the
> stock steel wheels (only 6 in. wide) and I want to keep 'em. However, as
> some of us know, V8 + stick + hot rear end + stock 215s = NO FREAKING
> TRACTION!!! So my question is, how fat can you go on the stock 6 inch
> rims??? Any help out there? I currently have P225-60s on all four corners,
> but I prefer the old musclecar look (big and fat in back, small in front)

The rule of thumb for slicks anyway, is that you can go an inch one way
or the other from your rim width. Personally, I have cheated a little on
this. My Li'l Red Express, for example uses 10X15 Crager supersports on
the back mounted with 12" wide MT Sportsman. I like the big-little look
too. The front are 4" wide MT front runners on 4.5X15 Cragers. There are
some pictures (haven't got around to the text yet) off my homepage.

One other possibility that I have seen used around here (Portland, OR) by
a couple of racers, including a very successfull Dakota racer, is to have
the steel rim sectioned and made wider by a wheel shop. We have one
right in our area that does the job for about $50 a wheel, but that still
comes out cheaper than custom wheel and this way you get optimal back
spacing for better balance and more rubber under the wheelwell. Even
if your wheel is chromed, the surgery is done where it can't be seen. There
are other firms that do this; Stockton wheel comes to mind. I see their
ads in the back of almost all the magazines I read.

| Mel Lester Jr. meljr@ConNet80.com - Operations Manager ConNet80 |
| ConNet80 - PDX's Fast Lane on the Information SuperHighway |
| Connect with ConNet80, it pays! http://www.ConNet80.com/~meljr |