RE: Tailgate/Bedliner problem

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Wed Jan 31 1996 - 09:38:06 EST

>Yes the rubbing that causes the paint loss will also remove the rust, but
>what if you had to leave it sit for a couple of days or weeks. It would
>take long for the rust to take over and that nice shiny metal you were
>talking about, if it's removing the rust, it's removing the metal. Drop
in
>liners are just a big piece of sand paper wearing away your truck bed. I
>guess I'm just sold on my Rhino lining, I would rather leave my bed bare
>than put a drop in liner in it. Just an opinion.

The real problem with drop in liners isn't the steady state, but the
dynamic.

If you add a load, or encounter a temp extreme which exposes a section of
metal, and then remove the load and return to normal temps, the liner may
not again touch the bare spot. Moisture WILL get to it, and the area will
begin to oxidize.

One of the nice things the Dakota has is a mostly galvanized sheet metal
construction. This galvination layer is far stronger than paint, and will
keep the area looking clean. However, sooner or later, that galvination
will wear off and the iron will start to corrode. Just because you don't
see rust yet, don't get too cocky.

Christopher Siano | "How do you control this thing?"
CSiano@Banyan.com | "Who Cares, Go FASTER!"