RE: damn abs

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Wed Jan 31 1996 - 10:48:02 EST

To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET; offroad@ai.gtri.gatech.edu@INTERNET
From: CSiano@banyan.com@INTERNET on Wed, Jan 31, 1996 9:53 AM

>I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the ABS, it has something
>to do with the front rotor/caliper in cold temps. Even with the carbon
>fiber pads, I still have very sensitive braking when the truck is cold.
>Once it warms up and I've used the brakes a few times, the problem seems to
>fade. Perhaps I get rid of the trouble because of the harder pads, but I
>know what you mean about front end lockup. It would drive me crazy if it
>continued at that sensitivity for extended periods. I also notice that
>after wet weather if I don't use the truck for a half day or so, I get the
>same type of operation. I suspect that this is more a layer of rust on the
>rotor, but it might be related.

I would look to the power brake booster as a potential source of temperature
related sensitivity. You may have a check valve that is sticking open and
allowing to much vacuumn to be applied in the booster when it's cold. It may be
that you have some moisture in there.

>What about the rest of you? Anyone else notice sensitive brakes in cold or
>damp climates?

I have not had any issues with sensitivity but I currently have a rotor with
some run out causing a shudder in the brake pedal.

>PS. I swaped to the carbon fiber brake pads and shoes because they last
>longer in off-road conditions with less wear and promoting less scoring on
>the drums and rotors. They are expensive, and likely not a cost effective
>solution, I just don't like changing shoes every 4 months or pulling my
>wheels to clean out all the silt after every trip. Its more of a lazy
>solution.

Are the Dakotas supplied with semi-metallic pads? or do they have plane organic?
and what kind of bucks do the carbon pads cost.

Dave Clement