Re: Tailgate/Bedliner problem

From: Rader = Darn Jar All Dry Error (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed Jan 31 1996 - 11:16:14 EST

>Also, I've been hearing people talk about how heavy the spray on liners
>are. If the liner is applied properly and evenly, no puddles in the
>corners and no excess around the seams, the liner weighs about the same as
>a drop in.

  I've been continuing the "spray-ons are heavier" rumor. I admit that
this is based on nothing more than hearsay from two sources:

1. Friends who have owned trucks with both and have commented on the
weight of the respective liners (2 data points, both indicating that
spray-ons are heavier).

2. Usenet posts corroborating above assertions.

  I've helped install a drop-in liner, and didn't think it was all that
heavy. We needed two people to lift it, due to bulk rather than mass.
I haven't had the opportunity to drive my truck without the drop-in
liner, but I did test drive a similarly-equipped Dakota w/o liner
and haven't perceived any major difference in bed weight.

  So now that we've arranged our respective sets of testimonial evidence,
can anybody provide some more objective information about the relative
weights of spray-on vs. drop-in bed liners?

>Show me a drop in where you can order the liner as custom as you want.

  I don't think anybody has argued that drop-ins are more configurable
or "better" than spray-ons. Considering relative merits as well as
cost, there are legitimate applications for drop-in liners, spray-on
advocacy notwithstanding. They certainly continue to be sold, for
whatever reason.

  Ron