Re: Gas tanks/gauges/capacit

From: Rader = Darn Jar All Dry Error (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Feb 01 1996 - 15:02:51 EST

>I've never put more than 19 gallons into my take at once. I thought that my
>tank capacity was only 20 gallons

  As far as I can tell from the documentation, Dodge delivers Dakotas
with 15 and 22 gallon tanks. Many models come with the 22 gallon tank
as part of the package (all Club Cabs and SLTs, I think).

  There's a TSB out on this issue, dated July 1994. Someone on this
list explained it in detail (perhaps they'll pipe up). Apparently,
Dodge installed more than a few 22 gallon tanks with the pickup and
sender package intended for the 15 gallon tanks. This causes the
gauge to report E before it really should.

  This sounds a bit fishy to me, but I suppose it's plausible.

  I usually fill my 22 gallon tank with ~17 gallons, which bugged me
when I bought the truck. Now I don't worry, and figure I've got a
good 5+ gallons in reserve.

  Ron "Quarter Tank" Rader