Re: Gas tanks/gauges/capacit

From: Ahti Eric Rovainen (pmpsoft@crl.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 1996 - 12:10:09 EST

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Rader = Darn Jar All Dry Error wrote:

> There's a TSB out on this issue, dated July 1994. Someone on this
> list explained it in detail (perhaps they'll pipe up). Apparently,
> Dodge installed more than a few 22 gallon tanks with the pickup and
> sender package intended for the 15 gallon tanks. This causes the
> gauge to report E before it really should.
>
> This sounds a bit fishy to me, but I suppose it's plausible.

Greetings to fellow Dakota drivers!

The fuel gauge and fuel warning light on my 1995 Sport with a 22-gallon
tank behave as if it only holds 17. At first I thought it might be a
17-gallon tank, but ran it down over 17 gallons proving it's a 22. The
light comes on with fewer than 16 gallons used. About two months ago I
went at least 125 miles with the light on. Put 20.25 gallons in so it
could have gone over 40 miles more (went 544 miles on that tank, not bad
for December). It could probably get 600 miles on one tank on a long
highway trip (it's the smallest engine, 5-speed, rather light loads).

Ahti Eric Rovainen