RE:Bug Deflectors (was: MP Computer for 5.2L)

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Tue Feb 13 1996 - 10:26:55 EST

>The bug deflector works by creating turbulant air flow off the edge of the
>deflector. This is good for getting bugs up and over the roof without
hitting
>the windshield. The down side is turbulance creates noise and drag. You
will
>notice that vehicles are being designed with flush mounted glass, flush
mounted
>head lights and such for the purpose of reducing turbulance thus
increasing
>performance (ie: >mpg and top speed) and reducing noise.

I added a Lund deflector (sorry, no idea the model name) mainly to stop the
chips and pitting I was getting on the leading edge of the hood from sand
and rocks bounced up on the highway. For this purpose, it works fine. It
also does keep the lower part of the windshield slightly cleaner, but it
isn't all that effective. The Deflector is small and curves with the hood,
so perhaps it isn't big enough to work as effectively as the larger ones.
I get no addional noise, and it has held up very well, even through car
washes.

Christopher Siano | "How do you control this thing?"
CSiano@Banyan.com | "Who Cares, Go FASTER!"