RE:Bug Deflectors (was: MP Computer for 5.2L)

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Tue Feb 13 1996 - 10:10:35 EST

From: NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org@INTERNET on Tue, Feb 13, 1996 8:48 AM
>....Hey, you had mentioned that you have the Concept II bug deflector on your
>truck, have you noticed additional wind noise since you installed it?? I just
>put on the Mopar bug/wind deflector, and I can hear a little extra wind noise
>then when it wasn't on... I also notice my hood shakes just a little at
>anything over 60 mph, I'm wondering if I should adjust the hood so it lies
>more flush with the grill, etc. so as to not let the wind into the engine
>bay. Any ideas or comments??

Ned,

The bug deflector works by creating turbulant air flow off the edge of the
deflector. This is good for getting bugs up and over the roof without hitting
the windshield. The down side is turbulance creates noise and drag. You will
notice that vehicles are being designed with flush mounted glass, flush mounted
head lights and such for the purpose of reducing turbulance thus increasing
performance (ie: >mpg and top speed) and reducing noise.

The bug deflector you mounted likely negates any advantage the flush head lights
and windshield gained.

Dave Clement