Re: 318 engine knock

From: Mel Lester Jr. (meljr@connet80.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 1996 - 21:50:04 EST

| Mel Lester Jr. meljr@ConNet80.com - Operations Manager ConNet80 |
| ConNet80 - PDX's Fast Lane on the Information SuperHighway |
| Connect with ConNet80, it pays! http://www.ConNet80.com/~meljr |

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, brian chinn wrote:

> I experienced engine knock in my 318 after it cooled for 30 min up to 3
> hours, then was restarted and held at a steady 1500 RPM. This knock would
> go away after it was completly warmed up again. The dealer replaced the
> engine with only 20,000 miles because they thought is was something
> internal. After an engine replacement it still knocked! They ended up
> putting a restrictor at the EGR valve and it stopped knocking. My check
> engine light will sometines come on now and when they pull the code it
> says EGR failure. I guess this is something I will have to live with.

I had a similar situation with my '89 Shelby Dakota 318. The thing
knocked so bad at idle, it was embarrasing to stop at traffic lights. It
turned out the source of the knocking was steam trapped in the engine. I
had to be very careful when adding coolent and even devised a method to
"bleed" the air out of the cooling system to prevent air from finding its
way into the engine. Never had another knocking problem in 65,000 miles.