318 engine knock

From: brian chinn (bchinn@zoomnet.net)
Date: Tue Feb 13 1996 - 23:14:55 EST

I experienced engine knock in my 318 after it cooled for 30 min up to 3
hours, then was restarted and held at a steady 1500 RPM. This knock would
go away after it was completly warmed up again. The dealer replaced the
engine with only 20,000 miles because they thought is was something
internal. After an engine replacement it still knocked! They ended up
putting a restrictor at the EGR valve and it stopped knocking. My check
engine light will sometines come on now and when they pull the code it
says EGR failure. I guess this is something I will have to live with.