Subtle noise under truck

From: tatum@sun1.its.state.ms.us
Date: Wed Feb 14 1996 - 11:55:00 EST

I own a '95 Dakota Extended cab SLT. I've had it
about four months. When it was new, it had a slight
vibration when it shifted. I could feel it in the
steering wheel. After having it ONE WEEK, I took
it to my dealer. To make a LONG story short, they
had to run out the drive shaft. Now, instead of a
vibration, there is a noise it makes when it shifts.
It is not that easy to hear, but IT'S THERE! I took
it to the dealer & he said it was the solenoid in
the transmission?? Something about being electronically
controlled. He was vague about it & said he really
wasn't sure what it was but that it involved the
transmission shifting mechanism. SHERLOCK! He said
those words we all hate to hear: there's nothing
we can do about it. The sound happens around 33
m.p.h. & only lasts a second or two. It sounds like
castanettes clicking together quickly. The service
manager had some techs that couldn't hear it, some
could. It's not a loud noise, BUT it happens EVERY
TIME the trans shifts. IT'S ANNOYING, to say the
least. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?
I've decided to go to Chrysler with this. I'm
trying to sell the truck so that I can get something
more affordable (new baby boy!!!) & this 'little'
quirk does not help.((((((J.T.))))))

         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)