Re: Air Conditioner Recharging

From: Rader = Darn Jar All Dry Error (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 1996 - 10:50:32 EST

  I've been chatting with list members via private email about this
issue, but will make one final comment on this subject over the list.

>> There are environmental problems with R12,
>> no doubt, but the legislative response in this country has exploited the
>> environment as a hot-button to screw over shade tree mechanics, IMO.

>I don't think the government is out to screw anyone.

  I disagree. Current EPA legislation has had at least as much, if not
more, to do with concentrating dollars in the commercial HVAC repair
industry than saving the environment.

>it seems to me that the regulations catch us
>DIY'ers in the same net that addresses the problem in industry.

  The regulations effectively prevent DIYers from "doing the right thing"
by mandating expensive certification for recovery equipment and
personnel. Try renting an approved R12 recovery unit. You can still
rent a simple vacuum pump, and happily create your own little ozone
hole. This makes no sense to me.

>perhaps we can accept that regulation, and possible associated
>inefficiency with freon substitutes, knowing that we are not contributing
>even an unmeasurable bit to environmental degradation.

  Personally, I have no problem with new R134a systems (though there are
still environmental concerns about these HCFC refrigerants, since they
are greenhouse gases). Nor do I have a problem with rational measures
to prevent release of R12 into the atmosphere. I do have a problem when
the legislation prevents me from doing my own responsible R12 A/C work,
and forces me to farm it out to a commercial mechanic who is less likely
to do a good job and just as likely to damage the ozone layer.

  Any further comment on my part will be limited to private email.
Thanks for letting me rant,

  Ron "Cantankerous" Rader