Re: Towing

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Fri Feb 23 1996 - 17:09:00 EST

>From: rlr
>To: dakota
>Subject: Re: Towing
>Date: Friday, February 23, 1996 1:36PM

> I'm probably the one who posted about towing 3500# boats. Haven't had
>to tow 5K#, so can't help you there. FWIW, I have zero trouble maintaining
>70MPH through the low rolling hills in Piedmont NC/VA. The Dakota feels
>like it's got more to spare. This is with the 3.55 rear end and 5 speed;
>our boat trailer doesn't have brakes.

Do you also have the HD suspension on your truck?? I have an appointment to
have a Class III frame-mount receiver-style trailer hitch put on my truck
next week, I'm planning to tow a small boat once in a while (nowhere near
3500#) and I'm also planning to possibly tow a friends '70 'Cuda to
Carlisle. Figured I'd put the Class III on just so I have the capability to
tow larger loads if necessary. I have the 3.21 SG rearend, 5-speed, and the
standard payload. The Dakota manual states that the combined weight of the
truck and the trailer, cargo, people, fluids, etc. with the standard payload
is not to exceed 7800#... I'm figuring that my trucks somewhere in the
neighborhood of 3700# (can't recall offhand) and his car on a trailer's
probably gonna be about 4500# (again just a round number)... Am I OK doing
this??? Any info is appreciated...

> If you had the 3.90 rear and/or the automatic, I don't think you'd have
>any trouble towing 5K#. Especially if your horse trailer has brakes.
> Ron

How big of a difference can/does the rearend ratio make??

         Network Administrator | _ _ _ _ _ _
       Rockville General Hospital | |_` |_` _ |_| |_| |_ |_| |_`
       (nvogler@rghosp.chime.org) | ,_| | | | |_ |\ ,_|
  '96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab |
  '84 Nighthawk 650 '85 Honda XR-350R | ----------------------------