Re: Towing

From: Rader = Darn Jar All Dry Error (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Feb 23 1996 - 16:16:08 EST

>> I'm probably the one who posted about towing 3500# boats.

>Do you also have the HD suspension on your truck??

  Yep. 2000# payload & towing package. The HD suspension was ordered
as a line item, but it actually came with one of the above options. I
think the dealer slipped it to me on that one. Live and learn.

>I have the 3.21 SG rearend, 5-speed, and the standard payload.

  In '95 at least, the sure-grip rear end only came with the 3.50 and 3.90
gear ratios (according to the documentation).

>is not to exceed 7800#... I'm figuring that my trucks somewhere in the
>neighborhood of 3700# (can't recall offhand) and his car on a trailer's
>probably gonna be about 4500# (again just a round number)... Am I OK doing
>this??? Any info is appreciated...

  Personally, I think rated towing capacities are severely derated
(i.e. the truck could probably tow more, but ChryCo is going to cover their
ass WRT warranties). However, I wouldn't exceed the ratings. Towing
is a stressful activity (on both driver and vehicle ;), and nothing
would be quite as screwed as breaking down on a remote dirt road with
boat in tow.

  You should be able to find a public truck scale to check your weight.

>How big of a difference can/does the rearend ratio make??

  Check the tow rating matrix in the Dakota documentation. There should
be different entries for different ratios.

  Ron