Re: Towing

From: Mel Lester Jr. (meljr@connet80.com)
Date: Fri Feb 23 1996 - 21:27:22 EST

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Paul Caskey wrote:

> But when we do tow, we want it to be safe. We don't need to break any
> land speed records -- we justwant to be able to make it up hills, and
> have a truck with enough weight to control the trailer, not the other
> way around.
>
> So our dilemma isthis: Can the Dakota V8 safely tow 2 large horses plus
> the trailer, plussome hay thrown in the bed, etc.? Or do we really
> need a full-size truck?

I own both. An early V8 Dakota (not the magnum engine) and a 95 Club Cab
Ram with the 5.9 Magnum. I have towed heavy equipment and race car
trailers with both, the longest distance being 2400 miles from Portland,
OR to Fargo ND and back, pulling a 5,000 lb. equipment trailer with the
Dakota. Power wasn't a problem, even over the divide, but I once had the
occasion to tow my Li'l Red Express Truck (6,000+ lbs including trailer) to
a car show with the Dakota and back with the Ram and the feeling of
security the Ram gave me over the Dakota was tremendous, particularly
when braking.

I have a few friends who pull race car trailers with Dakotas long
distances without problems. One fellow even carries a large camper, then
unhooks everything in the pits and successfully races the Dakota V8 Club
cab in the Street (now Sportsman) class.

By the way, my Ram has a fairly hopped up motor and I seem to be getting
about the same mileage as the other V8 Dakota owners on this list report
(15 MPG in mixed freeway/city driving).

| Mel Lester Jr. meljr@ConNet80.com - Operations Manager ConNet80 |
| ConNet80 - PDX's Fast Lane on the Information SuperHighway |
| Connect with ConNet80, it pays! http://www.ConNet80.com/~meljr |