Towing in overdrive

From: Jeff Dean (jmdean@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 26 1996 - 10:09:51 EST

Dakota list,

Thanks to all who commented on my towing a 2,000 lb. trailer across America
in overdrive, saying that this practice may not be wise. I will check the
owner's manual and the underhood sticker to see what my ratio is. So you
folks prodded me to check a little more deeply on this matter, which I will
do now.

I looked at the Ram a couple of weeks ago. Because of the increased size
and weight of the larger pickup, I don't think the 5.9-liter V8 offers any
advantage over a Dakota with the 5.2-liter V8, at least for pulling a
trailer up to 3,000 pounds. Looks to me that to get better performance one
would need to opt for the Ram 2500 or 3500 with the V10 engine, which drops
your mileage through the earth's crust. So unless you want to pull enormous
loads, seems to me the Dakota V8 is the best thing on the market. Am I
right on this?

Jeff Dean
1995 Dakota 4x4 V8 Club Cab __ _ __ __ __ . . . .
Obsessive BMW motorcycle rider |__) | | \ |_ |__) |\ /| | /\ |